Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ch. 13

I'm in wires for you girl,
You're coursing through my mind.
All I think about is you,
Yeah I'm electrified.

Cause all I think about is how you and I,
Could electrify.
I hope that someday you might take me home,
And lose control.
MUTEMATH - Electrify
Ch. 13

“So you two spent the whole day together?!” Kristy asked in a high pitch, excited whisper as she leaned on the bar, her fist propping up her chin while her brown eyes popped out of her head.
“Yeah, like I said, we just baked cookies and then he made the most delicious soup…” I said nonchalantly, but my mouth was watering while I thought about how yummy the soup was.  I was back at work, despite still feeling like I was living in a bubble world, but being a new hire I wasn’t warranted many sick days.
“That’s totally romantic!”
“Oh no, you are totally getting the wrong idea,” I shushed her with warning look.  “It is nothing like that,” I continued, emphasizing the nothing part.
“Well why the hell not?!”
“I am not doing that whole one-night stand thing with my neighbor.  I still can’t say I’m overly proud of what I did with Biz.”
“First, never regret what you did with Biz, because even you said he was worth every orgasm.  And with Kris, who says it needs to be a one-night stand?  There might be potential there.”
“There is no relationship potential when the guy doesn’t even know my real identity,” I hissed.
“Well you could always tell him…”
“Stop. No. Besides, like I told you before, my #1 rule with this whole finding myself thing was not to date another hockey player.”
“Fine, if that is the case, then I’m hooking you up with a guy I go to school with,” she said suddenly.
“What?!”
“I talked to Patrick about him and he agrees that you might be a good match with the guy.  He is in Med School with me and is a total hunk.  He plays rugby,” she grinned.
“You’ve already talked this over with my brother?!”
“Maybe, and maybe I already told the guy about you…”
“You told him about me?”
“Well, I told him about Gabby,” she informed me, like this bit of information was better.
I growled under my breath as my beeper went off.  “We will talk about this more later,” I grumbled as I shot Kristy a weak glare to which she just laughed off.
By the end of the night I learned that the guy’s name was Jackson and that he lived just outside across the river in Haddonfield, New Jersey.  Of course Kristy took my indecisiveness as an okay to contact him while we were still working and told him my scheduled day off at work was Thursday night.  By the time I left, my first date with Jackson had been scheduled for a 5pm pick-up.  I found the time a little odd, but he said he would be finishing up his rotation at work and figured it would be easier to just swing by and pick me up instead of going home and then coming back into the city.  I’m a practical thinker, so it did make sense and I wasn’t put off by the fact it was as if he was ensuring convenience for himself. Okay, so maybe I’m a little bothered by it, but who am I to judge.
As I walked out from work, I still found myself shaking my head at the fact that Kristy and Patrick had totally been on a secret squirrel mission.  Seriously, what could it hurt to meet someone totally new?  Wasn’t this part of the plan after all?  I was so lost in my thoughts while waiting for the bus that I didn’t notice his ostentatious car sitting just a few feet away until he got out of the car and called over to me.
“What?! Are we back to the whole ignoring game?” he cat-called over to me.
“Kris? What are you doing here?”
“I figured that you might appreciate a warm car ride home since I’m thinking you’re probably still feeling like you’re living in a bubble,” he grinned easily, making me smile easily back.  I wouldn’t tell him, but I was actually overjoyed to see his smile after a rough first day back.  “Get out of the cold and get in the car, Gabby.”
It took a little more effort than normal to pick my tired body up off the cold bench, but I was grateful for his gesture as soon as I felt the warm air come rushing out of the car when he opened the door for me.  “Jesus, it feels like Aruba in here!” I mused when he crawled into the driver’s seat.  I quietly reveled in the fact the leather seats felt like I was sitting in a cloud that hugged the contours of my sore body.  The interior of the car was all black leather and the dash was lit up like the strip in Vegas.  The car’s driver was looking just as good in just a pair of relaxed jeans, white t-shirt and a black trucker’s jacket.  His hair was spiked up in a mess and the slight blonde scruff on his face made him look like he was worth just as much as the car or maybe a look alike member from the cast of Grease.  I felt myself blush slightly thinking how good he really did clean up.  Yesterday I didn’t notice him that way because he was just in a pair of warm-up pants and an old Lethbridge Hurricanes sweatshirt with a backwards hat on his head, basically coming across as a typical dirty boy.
“I told you it would be a warm car ride home,” he smiled over at me, breaking me from my thoughts.  “So are you too tired to maybe go out and get a drink with some of the guys from the team?” he asked as he buckled his seatbelt.
“Is this your way of getting me to go on a date with you, Versteeg?” I asked, trying to hide that I was slightly amused by his poor attempt of acting indifferent.
“If I wanted to take you on a date, I would ask you,” he said in a tone that confirmed I was right but he wasn’t ready to admit it.  “I am just asking my new friend if she wants to hang out with me and my other new friends.”
“You really are not that smooth.”
“I know, I suck,” he admitted while laughing at himself.  “So you game or not?”
“Alcohol always helps soothe a sore throat, so why the fuck not,” I said, throwing caution to the wind before thinking about the fact that I wasn’t really dressed to go out.  “As long as the guys don’t care I’m still in my work clothing,” I commented while frowning at my attire.
“If they care then that is their problem. Besides, it’s not like you are there to impress them.”
“Oh yeah, that’s right, you are my date and obviously I already impressed you,” I joked, but immediately regretting it when I watched him nod his head sincerely in agreement.  Oh fuck me.  This is totally not good.


Okay, I know I said that I would be cool with just being friends, and I wasn’t lying, but I couldn’t stop thinking about our day together yesterday and how much I wanted to see her again.  I would play the friend card as long as I had to, as long as she kept giving me the time of day.  She was the first girl I had met in a long time that gave me a permanent smile and with the whirlwind my life had become, it was the first steady light I had seen and I wasn’t about to let it die out.  Plus she was a mystery and I had always been a fan of that genera.
“Oh yeah, that’s right, you are my date and obviously I already impressed you,” she joked, but as soon as the words were out of her mouth I could tell she regretted them, afraid she was flirting and giving me the wrong idea. 
Don’t worry hunnie, I already have the wrong idea about you.  I’ve never said I was the brightest bulb in the shed, especially when it comes to women.  Quick! Say something to make the tension dissipate.  “If you think you look hot in old sweatpants and sweatshirts, then sure, whatever you want to believe.” I chirped at her, making sure to make some playful eye contact with her.
She opened her mouth probably in an attempt to shoot back a witty comeback, but shut it as a thought seemed to click in her mind.
After a moment of silence that was only marked with the purring of the engine and the soft music of Dave Matthews’ Jimi Thing played, I piped up, “What?! No come back for that?  You disappoint me, Gabby.”
She looked over at me with a sad smile.  “No, you have a good point,” she said thoughtfully like I had pulled her into a different world with the statement.  “I’ve basically been hiding out since I got down here to Philly and I think I’ve only worn two nice outfits since I’ve been here, one for the hockey game and another for my date with Biz,” she said, speaking to herself.
“Back those thoughts up!” I interjected.  “Hockey game? Biz? I thought you weren’t a hockey fan and are you talking about the same Biz I know?”
Her eyes got big before quickly turning to look out the passenger window so that I was unable to see her expression.  “Well, I saw you guys play up at MSG the other week…Patrick had tickets and I went along.  Besides, I never said I hated hockey.  Plus it was all in an attempt to hook Patrick and Kristy up,” she said quietly as she still looked away from me.
“Okay…and Biz?”
“Well if you know a Paul Bissonnette who plays for the Phoenix Coyotes, then yes, I was out on a date with him last Monday night when he and the Coyotes were in town,” she plainly stated.
“Are you seeing him?”
“You’re a hockey player, I’m fairly sure the whole one-night-stand thing is nothing new to you,” she shot back, making me quickly realize I had struck a chord.
I focused on the red light in front of us and nodded, “Yeah, I guess you are right there.  But…”
“But what?”
“You just don’t seem like the one-night-stand type of girl, that is all,” I said honestly. That’s totally none of your business, you dumbass.
“I’m not a slut if that is what you are thinking.  In fact that was first time I’ve ever done something like that and I can’t say I’m totally proud of it,” she finished in a voice that you would expect to hear from a little girl who was apologizing for not sharing with her best friend Susie.
“I did not think of you as a slut, Gabby,” I reassured her quietly.  “Besides, I should be the last one to have any opinion to judge anyone on their actions, especially when it comes to one-night-stands.”
“Exactly what I figured,” she mumbled to herself.
“Just because I’ve had many one night stands doesn’t make me incapable of having a serious relationship,” I countered, suddenly feeling the need to defend myself.
“Have you had a serious relationship?” she scoffed as she finally turned back towards me.
I just broke up with my girlfriend of 8 years this past summer.”
“8 years?” she asked, sounding shocked.
“Yeah.”
“How many of those years were you faithful to her?” she asked quietly.
“I-Um,” I paused.  I so bad wanted to lie and say that I was faithful that whole time, but I couldn’t do that.  “Probably the first 2 years and that is most likely pushing it,” I answered sadly, suddenly feeling totally ashamed, especially when I saw Gabby smugly nod her head while pursing her lips.  It was like I just slammed the lid down on the treasure chest I had been searching for and now within a few steps of it, it was locked for another 100 years. 
“Well, at least you are honest.”



“Gabby?!” Carter greeted me as he came over and pulled me into a friendly hug.
“Hey Jeff,” I smiled at his sincere greeting.
“Geesh Gabby, you seem to know everyone around here…” Kris laughed as him and Carter bumped fists.
“We’re just glad Patrick finally decided to bring his hot cousin around,” Danny Carcillo joined in as he pulled a chair out for me.
Kris raised a questioning eyebrow at me as I took a seat next to Danny.  “I met them all at PBR after you guys got home from NYC,” I filled him in.
“You are a woman of mystery it seems,” he chuckled and bowed to me before asking, “Drink of choice madam?”
I felt myself turn completely red as I swatted at him.  “LaBatt’s ya ass.”
“One Labatt’s coming up for the lady,” he chirped, bowing again before walking over to the bar.  We were at a little pub on
Broad Street
, just a hole in the wall type place, but it was a perfect laid back atmosphere where the guys could just hang out and throw back a few drinks.
“So what is it like to have Brian Burke as your uncle?” Mike asked as he and I stood at the jukebox picking out some songs to play.
“He’s my uncle…I don’t know, he’s not as scary as they claim he is,” I giggled.
“Kris said you aren’t a big hockey fan?”
“I will watch it, but I don’t have a team or anything.”  At least that wasn’t a lie.  I didn’t have a favorite team, even though I found myself rooting for either the Flyers or Leafs if I was watching a game they were playing.
“You should come to the game on Thursday,” Kris suddenly as he joined us.  “We are playing against the Leafs, the team I just got traded from.”
I wanted to say, I know exactly what team you were traded from and who it was that did the deal, but I just shook my head once and informed him and Mike, “I’m sorry, I’d love to, but I already have plans.”  Suddenly it dawned on me what we were truly talking about.  The Leafs would be in town, on Thursday, and I had plans, on Thursday!  Son of a bitch.
“Something wrong?” Kris asked worriedly, probably noticing the look of distraught that had come to my face.
“Um, no,” I quickly covered.  Of course something is wrong.  The Leafs are in town which means Tyler and some of my other friends, like Boyce were going to be here and I’m going on a date… Not cool.  But then again, maybe its better this way, that way I don’t blow my cover be made to explain everything.  Either way I don’t feel like drinking anymore.  “Um, actually, Kris, I’m sorry, but I think it’s time for me to head home.  It has suddenly hit me that I’m really tired,” I semi-lied.
I felt bad, even if it wasn’t a total lie, as I watched sincere worry run through his blue eyes.  “Not a problem. It’s actually later than I realized,” he apologized after he looked down at his watch.
We walked back over to the guys and said our goodbyes.
“So when is it my turn to take you on a date?” Carcillo joked as he pulled me into a friendly hug.
“It’s not a date!” Kris defended for me.  “That was part of the deal…”
“Well then that’s even better!  It gives me a chance to take her on a real one,” Danny winked.
“She don’t date hockey players,” Kris informed the table of guys who raised eyebrows and acted like they were appalled by this notion.
“Sorry boys,” I smiled before blowing them a kiss with a silly smile.
“See you next time then!” Mike called out as he raised his beer to me.

The car ride home was a fairly quiet.  The purr of the engine actually began lulling me to sleep and I jumped when I felt Kris’s hand lightly touch mine.
“Gabby, we’re home.”
I looked down at where his hand was touching mine.  It was warm and it felt like he was sending soothing currents through my skin.  I looked back up and found him smiling lightly at me before he lifted his hand to turn and get out of the car.
I had just taken off my seatbelt as he opened the passenger door for me and offered his hand to me.  I took it gratefully because it was hard to get out of the low riding car without feeling like you had to roll out of the damn thing, especially while wearing a pencil skirt.  As soon as I was out of the car, I left go of his hand.
“What, are you afraid I have cooties?” he joked lightly.
“Well duh,” I joked back.  “It’s bad enough I’m gonna have to take a longer shower and use bleach on my clothing after sitting in your car…”
“Just remember, some women find this irresistible,” he smirked as he popped the collar of his jacket.
“Obviously I’m just not some woman,” I informed him as I attempted not to laugh at him.  Of course I failed miserably because there was definitely something about him that I was beginning to find endearing.


“Obviously I’m just not some woman,” she said.  I knew she was attempting to joke back but all I could think was, yeah, no shit.
It amazed me how easily she fit in with everyone, it was like we all knew her for years and she was completely comfortable.  Any other normal girl would have been awe struck, probably unable to say “Hi,” let alone have an intelligent conversation with guys that were imposing with just their looks alone.
There was so much I didn’t know about her, the reality of that smacking me in the gut when she said she had plans on Thursday night.  It made it worse when a look of concern crossed her face, as if she suddenly thought of something that totally bothered her.  As much as I wanted to ask more questions, I knew it wasn’t my business; hell I had basically just met this girl and I was still gaining her trust.  Remember, you like a mystery, especially one with blonde hair and green eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it seems like everything is converging, and all the guys will be in one place at one time (except Biz, of course). So all Abby has to do is stay out of that place...but really can she do that? It seems like fate keeps stepping in. And for someone who doesn't want to date hockey players, she sure seems to meet a lot of them. The Biz thing went well, I thought it might come back and bit her on the butt, but no. And I have no idea what might happen next, I'll have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete